Slim, compact, 847 cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled inline-three cylinder engine. The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low and mid-range torque with strong yet linear throttle response.
- Engine meets or exceeds strict EU-4 regulations
- 4-valve, downdraft-style combustion chamber maximizes flow into and out of combustion chamber
- 31 mm intake and 25 mm exhaust valves
- Stainless steel valves feature an Isonite surface treatment and carburized tips for excellent durability and wear resistance
120-degree crankshaft with "even" 240-degree firing order.
- Design reduces inertial torque while emphasizing linear torque in response to the rider's throttle action
- Design has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range
- Fast, linear throttle response
- Engine design allows a whole new level of rider/machine communication
Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
Lightweight "coupling force balancer" reduces engine vibration.
Fracture-split connecting rods feature a nutless design.
- Lower end "cap" of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are "split" apart using a special fracturing process and then machinedusing a special fracturing process and then machined
- Design aids in establishing true big end roundness and greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the high horsepower loads
Lightweight, forged, aluminum short skirt pistons.
- Design aids in fast engine response
- Reduces mechanical vibration
- Excellent durability
Direct ceramic composite-plated cylinder uses liner-less bores.
- Ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner and reducing weight
- Excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- Coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder and piston, reducing friction and increasing power
Offset cylinder design
- Cylinder is "offset" relative to the crank (toward exhaust side)
- Reduces frictional losses between the pistons and cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output
One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly
- Superior engine and chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member)
- Reduces weight
Lightweight hollow camshafts.
- Cam profiles are designed for excellent torque in the low-and mid-rpm range
Crankcases feature a "Tri-Axis" layout for the crank, main and drive axles.
- Creates a more compact and shorter engine front to back
- Shorter engine allows for optimum engine placement in the "sweet spot" of frame for desired weight distribution and great handling
Closed-loop 41 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- System uses throttle position sensor (TPS) and acceleration position sensor (APS)
- Injectors feature 12 holes and 20-degree spray pattern
- Injectors spray fuel directly at the intake valve
- "Closed-loop" system uses an oxygen sensor to "sniff" spent exhaust and automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- Fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy and reduced emissions
Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T).
- YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response and controllability
- YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve
- ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1/1000th of a second
Yamaha D-Mode (3 modes available)
- Enables the rider to adjust the performance characteristics of the engine based on riding preferences or riding conditions
- Standard mode emphasizes very linear throttle and torque feel of the engine
- A mode allows the rider to enjoy even sportier engine performance in the low-to-mid rpms
- B mode softens throttle response for riding situations that require softer power characteristics, such as slippery or wet conditions
- D-mode button is conveniently located on the right handle bar switch gear
Traction control system with (2 modes plus off).
- Mode 1 provides mid-level intervention (allows some wheel spin)
- Mode 2 provides maximum intervention (no wheel spin)
- Works in conjunction with the YCC-T system (utilizing same wheel sensors as ABS system)
- System senses when the rear wheel begins to spin and modifies the YCC-T function, ignition timing and fuel injection volume to reduce power and eliminate wheel spin
- Status indicator / warning light in meter assembly
- Operates in 4th through 6th gears and between 50 km/h and 160 km/h
New electronic control unit (ECU) utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection, engine management and ignition processes.
Air box features dual resonator chambers and unequal internal intake funnel lengths for all 3 cylinders.
- Benefit is a wide torque curve and exciting intake sound that accentuates the exhaust note
- Viscous paper-type air filter is used
Compact 6-speed transmission.
- Gear ratios are optimized to accentuate the torque and throttle response of the engine
Compact, slipper(back-limiter) clutch with assist.
- Slipper clutch reduces the negative effects of engine braking on handling and suspension
- Reduces rear wheel hop/ chatter when decelerating for improved riding performance and smoother corner entries
- Assist function reduces clutch lever effort by up to 20%
Quick Shift System (QSS)
- Quickshifter allows for smooth, clutchless upshifts
- System operates at 50 km/h and above at 4000 rpm or higher, and only when accelerating
Stylish, compact, low mounted, 3-into-1 exhaust system
- Stainless steel header pipes with special "Nano-film" coating
- Triple-expansion-type muffler is a triple expansion type with a 3-way honeycomb catalyzer to reduce emissions
- Low mounted design centralizes mass for excellent handling and light weight feeling
Flat-design radiator provides maximum cooling efficiency.
- Radiator guard is designed to improve cooling efficiency while protecting the radiator from road debris
Liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains stable lubricant temperatures for extended engine life.
Convenient spin-on type oil filter and easy access drain plug for fast oil changes.
Convenient oil level sight glass.
Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- Produces a strong spark for fast starts
- Provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
Air Injection System (AIS-not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.