CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
High tensile steel, backbone-style frame. Engine is a stressed member. Steel pipe is used for its excellent strength - rigidity balance and more inherent softness than aluminum (comfort). The engine is mounted low in the frame and allows for a fuel tank design which lowers the centre of gravity for a lighter riding feel.
Detachable aluminum rear sub frame
- reduces weight
- sub frame designed to withstand the rigors & loads associated with adventure riding.
Long design, low pressure cast aluminum swingarm.
- Casting method offers superior strength (material is more dense)
- long design contributes to excellent stability & rear wheel traction
- left side of swingarm "houses" drive shaft
Electronically adjustable 43mm KYB inverted fork
- 190mm (7.5") of wheel travel
- adjustable damping
Electronically adjustable link Monocross rear suspension with KYB shock
- 190mm (7.5") of wheel travel
- adjustments include spring pre-load & damping
How it works: This "linked" electronic suspension asks the rider to choose from one of four pre-sets for "load" (solo / solo & luggage / dual / dual & luggage). Once the load setting has been chosen, the system automatically adjusts both the front and rear damping rates based on the load setting chosen. If a rider wishes to "tune" the damping settings further, there are 3 "main " settings (soft / std / hard) to choose from. Within each of these 3 main settings, there are another 7- "fine tuning" settings available, providing a total of 21 damping settings that a rider can choose from. The "load" setting must be chosen / adjusted while the unit is running but stopped. All other tuning can be done "on the fly". Adjustments are via buttons on the L.H.S. switch gear. Suspension setting menu and adjustments can be viewed in the DOT matrix section of the LCD multi-function meter assembly. A duty cycle motor controls the "pre-load" settings while stepping motors vary the oil flow rate in the fork & shock (damping adjustments). The design allows a rider easily tailor suspension settings to match load and road conditions. System is very similar to the one found on the FJR1300ES.
Suspension control unit (SCU) controls the electronic suspension & features a diagnostic mode
Tapered aluminum handlebar reduces weight and offers excellent strength. Handlebar position & bend is designed to be both versatile & comfortable whether sitting or standing.
ABS equipped dual 310mm front disc brakes
- "wave style" floating front discs / rotors
- ultra-rigid 4-piston monoblock calipers
- master cylinder uses a 16mm piston
- excellent braking performance & "feedback"
ABS equipped, "wave-style" 282 mm rear disc brake
- single piston, slide-type rear caliper
- rear master cylinder uses a 14mm piston
The ABS or Anti-Lock Braking System features Yamaha's latest generation independent linear controlled system with step-less, infinitely variable hydraulic pressure adjustment. The ABS unit, the ECU and the hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit that allows for mass centralization. This system uses the same wheel sensors as the traction control system to reduce weight. When the system senses impending wheel lock-up, it regulates the hydraulic pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up. The benefit of ABS is excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces. The ABS system is designed to help prevent wheel lock up.
Unified Brake System is combined with ABS system. When the front brake is activated, an electronic control applies some rear wheel braking force as well. The amount of rear braking force is dependent upon how hard the front brake has been applied, unit speed and the amount of load on the unit. If the rear brake is applied prior to the front brake, it cancels the unified braking system temporarily (there may be times on difficult terrain when a rider does not want the unified system to activate).
Large capacity, steel 23 litre fuel tank
- lower portion of the tank is located down inside the frame rails, behind the air box & cylinders to reduce centre of gravity & centralize mass
- reserve portion is 3.9 litres (when low fuel light begins to flash)
- steel design allows the use of magnetic tank bags
Tubeless, spoked wheels
- "double T" type front rim features 2-raised "rails" that spokes attach to
- design allows use of tubeless, radial tires
- optimum spoke angle for excellent strength and durability
- rear rim uses a single raised rail design
- raised rails add additional strength to the rims
- tubeless design allows for temporary emergency road side repairs
Dual, cat-eye, projector type H7, 55 / 55 watt headlights
- excellent illumination for extra confidence when riding after dark
- solenoid moves the shade that controls the projector headlight function
Adjustable long distance designed rider seat
- rider portion offers two different height settings; low position is 845mm (33.3"), tall position is 870mm (34.3")
- takes only seconds to make adjustment... no tools are required
- passenger seat is removable.
Multi-function plastic resin rear rack
- in standard form it is a conventional rack / carrier
- also functions as a mount for the accessory 30 litre top box
- additional carrier built in under the passenger seat... with passenger seat & spacer removed, becomes a long, flat platform, providing maximum cargo space
Combination rubber / steel rider footrests
- when sitting, the rider's foot is resting on the vibration damping rubber inserts
- when standing, rubber inserts compresses & exposes serrated edges of the steel pegs for additional grip when riding in difficult terrain
Multi-function, LCD meter assembly. Left side features digital tach and speedo, plus fuel gauge, clock and status indicators for traction control, D-modes, and Eco System. The right side utilizes a DOT Matrix LCD display, which includes odometer, dual trip meters, outside air temp, coolant temp, instant fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, estimated travel range (based on remaining fuel), trip timer and low fuel trip meter. Other functions include grip heater status and gear indicator. Full range of warning and indicator lights as well, including cruise control and ABS status. The ECO indicator is a light that indicates the bike is being ridden in a manner that conserves fuel. Background illumination is adjustable.
Sculptured 2- piece half fairing
- offers an unobstructed view
- excellent air management
- good wind & weather protection.
Convenient, 12 volt DC outlet (fairing dash) for GPS, cell phone or other uses.
4-position, no tools required, adjustable windscreen
- excellent wind protection
- adjustment range is 60 mm (2.3")
- both height & "attack" angle change as the windshield moves
- cross bar can be used as GPS holder
Variable heated grips
- 10 levels of heat settings
- heat settings are customizable
- heat settings & status shown ihn the LCD meter assembly
Frame mounted composite tip over protectors
- located on left & right sides of the lower edge of the fairing
- offer protection for fairing, side mounted rad & battery
Quick release fasteners on lower & mid fairings
- quick access to the rad & selected electrical components including fuses
Immobilizer ignition system
- reduces possibility of "ride away" theft
- system must recognize the "coded ignition key" in order to start
- if the key is not recognized, electrical system will not activate, even if ignition is turned or forced into the on position